Urban Waters Federal Partnership
Through our partnership, we will revitalize urban waters and the communities that surround them, transforming overlooked assets into treasured centerpieces and drivers of urban revival.
May 10, 2013 National News
Vibrant urban waterways play an important role in attracting small businesses and entrepreneurs to a region. EDA is pleased to be part of the multi-agency Urban Waters Federal Partnership to help enhance America's scenic value while promoting economic and job growth.
The partnership offers an opportunity to realize urban waterway and watershed revitalization goals that are larger than, and beyond the resources of any individual community, agency, or mission. We can deliver solutions to help urban communities enjoy and prosper from healthy waters through collaboration with other agencies and the communities we collectively serve. The Department of the Army for Civil Works is committed to the vision, mission, and principles of this partnership. We are ready to assist in securing more vibrant and sustainable urban waters.
Conserving our natural heritage is an objective shared by all Americans. The Urban Waters partnership will not only give thousands of urban Americans access to the great outdoors in a way they haven't had before, it also creates partnerships between the federal government and American communities on conservation issues. At USDA, the Forest Service and Natural Resources Conservation Service are working in thousands of communities across the country to conserve and revitalize forests and watersheds, many impacting urban areas. At the same time, we're connecting people with our land and resources by promoting outdoor activities and healthier lifestyles.
The Urban Waters Federal Partnership marks a significant step towards revitalizing an often overlooked resource in our urban communities. Urban waterways have the potential to significantly improve urban communities, so I am pleased that HUD has a role in providing these pilot cities with the necessary tools to spur the creation of local jobs, economic development and protect Americans' health.
- Urban Waters Small Grants Competition
- The National Fish and Wildlife Five Star/Urban Waters Restoration Program
- First Phase Pilots with Communities
- Partnership in Action Report (PDF) (59 pp, 4MB, About PDF)
- Urban Waters Federal Partnership: Vision, Mission & Principles (PDF) (3 pp, 1MB, About PDF)
- Fact Sheet: Urban Waters Federal Partnership (PDF) (1 pg, 303K, About PDF)
- EPA Urban Waters Small Grants
About the Urban Waters Federal Partnership
This partnership will reconnect urban communities, particularly those that are overburdened or economically distressed, with their waterways by improving coordination among federal agencies and collaborating with community-led revitalization efforts to improve our Nation's water systems and promote their economic, environmental and social benefits. Specifically, the Urban Waters Federal Partnership will:
- Break down federal program silos to promote more efficient and effective use of federal resources through better coordination and targeting of federal investments.
- Recognize and build on local efforts and leadership, by engaging and serving community partners.
- Work with local officials and effective community-based organizations to leverage area resources and stimulate local economies to create local jobs.
- Learn from early and visible victories to fuel long-term action.
- This partnership aligns with President Obama's America's Great Outdoors initiative, which calls on agencies to support innovative community efforts to provide safe, healthy and accessible outdoor spaces.